Learning When to Start Seeds

I had no idea when to start seeds; but, I'm learning from the best - like I said, I got people. I knew Jim had a plan but wasn't real sure where he acquired his magical planting skills - not lying his name should be Jack - like the guy and the beanstalk.

I had two plans. Plan A: As soon as I saw the seeds on display,  I bought the ones I love and started them in March - didn't matter what - just stuff I loved. Plan A never really worked out but it was always fun. Plan B: This plan was a little more successful. I saw plants at Lowe's - got 'the garden fever' aka TGF - bought all I could and planted - done. Where I planted them was of zero consequence - just plant them. Now I have a crazy looking garden (but those Bleeding Hearts look great in the spring!).

Maybe that's why Jim and I work so well together; he thinks his thoughts and I voice all mine. What ever chemistry we have, it's been working for 30+ years.

So, I needed a new plan; a Plan C! I tiptoed into Jim's garage and took a look at this chart thing he had on the wall - well damn! The chart tells you when to start seeds and when to set them out! Seriously?! Could it be that easy? Really?

I guess I need to get ready to start the eggplant seeds in January ... why eggplant? I have TGF, about to be laid up for a while with a cast, and it's the first seed I can start. Seriously, no other reason than that.


While digging for garden info:

I came across this blog:Homestead & Chill. Actually, I came across it a few times - like when I was looking at greenhouses. Anyways, the writer has a great voice, the blog is super easy to use, unassuming, and has a prettier chart than Jim's for zone 7 (they had all the zones available).

Greenhouse update: Still in boxes until the seawall is completed - so soon enough.

Asian Mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)

End of the Garden Season for me ...