Buying Seeds Was Never The Problem ...

Buying 50 different seed packets and starting every seed was the problem. I just love all those marketing pictures on the packets of healthy looking vegetables and flowers and want to recreate those visions in my own garden. To top it off, those cute 72 celled seed trays are at arms length from the seed packets - I think my brain just glitches. 

A few years ago, I bought two packets of cherry tomatoes: Sweet 100 and Black Krim. I planted every single seed. Jim caught me mid-planting and honestly questioned, with eyes wide and brows high, if I thought I should plant them all - well absolutely! As my garden grew, the vision I had dreamed of turned into a Cherry Tomato Jungle! Like Gremlins! Those little tomato guys were everywhere and each day I had a bountiful harvest. I had to construct supports, bamboo - ladders - chairs - fishing poles - whatever worked, to keep plants off the ground because, who knew, tomatoes are runners and every nub will start a new plant. The following season, every fallen tomato was a new spring plant. I loved that little jungle. 

So, I have to make myself a promise this year. To navigate the glitch, I will still buy all the seed packets I want BUT I will only start 4 pots of each seed. This way, I will have a manageable vegetable/flower jungle/garden. I think I can keep that promise. Painting with watercolor has taught me great patience - I work to apply those lessons in gardening.

Vegetables Love Flowers: Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty

A gardening friend mentioned this author, I found the book at Amazon for $19.99


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)

End of the Garden Season for me ...