The Cost of Seeds: UPDATED

I just want watermelon seeds! What is with the different pricing? Crimson Sweet is a Crimson Sweet - right? Down the rabbit hole I go...

UPDATE: I was watching Roots & Refuge on YouTube and Jess mentioned a seed company MI Seeds; the seeds are $2.00 a bag, lots of seeds and you'll get a discount if you type JESS10. 

Gurney's Seed and Nursery 30 seeds/$2.99

This is a national brand, maybe world wide (I didn't check). A packet of 30 seeds will cost $2.99 and produce fruits weighing 20-25 pounds. 88 days til harvest.

Johnny's Seeds 30 seeds/$5.50

Actually, I think I have heard of this brand before from YouTube sensation Hollis & Nancy's Homestead - I love that couple. Johnny's offers a packet of 30 seeds for $5.50 producing fruit weighing 15-25 pounds. 85 days til harvest.

Eden Brother's maybe 30 seeds/$4.50 

Seen this brand a lot around the internet, sells a packet of seeds weighing 2 grams for $4.50. The fruit is said to weigh 25+ pounds and ready for harvest in 60-90 days. 
(I used Harvest to Table to determine the number of seeds.)

Bentley Seeds maybe 40 seeds/$2.29 Heirloom

Never heard of this company, but what do I know? Bentley's offers a packet of seeds weighing 1.8 grams for $2.29. The website states that there are 40-50 seeds per packet and did not mention the weight of fruit. Watermelon is ready for harvest in 90 days. Something a little special, the Heirloom year for this packet is 1964. 

Burpee (not shown) 100 seeds/$5.95 Heirloom

This brand is a Lowes staple so I decided to include them. A Burpee packet of 100 seeds will cost $5.95. The fruit is said to weight 25-30 pounds and ready for harvest in 80 days. No interesting heirloom information was mentioned.

So What Does That All Mean?

Incredible Marketing & Consumer Pennies.

The same watermelon will cost anywhere from 6 to 18 cent per seed. Funny, I thought the Heirloom or Bentley would turn up to be the most expensive but not so. Heirloom was cheaper than the regular/hybrid seeds.

I know that I have eaten the 'same looking' watermelon and the tastes have varied; but, is the taste difference due to the seed, soil, or time of day the fruit was plucked from the vine. I'm not real sure of those answers. I think each variable might play a factor. If anyone out there can enlighten us beginners - please share in the comment section below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)

End of the Garden Season for me ...