Mid July, 2023: Did I really need all those tomato plants ... YES, yes I did!

It's mid July here in Virginia and the garden is in full swing. I have learned a lot along the way. I have added a diagram of the plot and a video below.

SOIL
I just used the soil we had, added more topsoil from the stone store and some compost. Not very scientific - or - the best idea. I think there is something wrong with the soil. I bought a kit to test it, when the results come back, I'll have a better understanding of what to do to correct it all.

STARTING FROM SEED
This was a great idea and saved me a ton of money (except that I buy every seed packet in sight). When I buy seed packets, I do a lot of research, then throw all that knowledge out the window and just buy seeds. I did buy some from an online company and they just aren't great - the taste is bland and not such a great bounty.
  • March/April: Starting seeds in cups: I had some left over styrofoam cups and plastic cocktail cups - so I used them. I poked holes in the bottom of the styrofoam cups, added moist seed-starter soil, the seeds and topped it all with an inverted cocktail cup to create a mini greenhouse. I have a greenhouse but it was still chilly at night so I thought the extra heat would help the seeds. Almost everything took. I might use the red-party-cups next year for two reasons: 1- they are easier to clean and reuse (the styrofoam bothered me); 2- the cups are deeper and could help form a better root system without have to "pot-up".
  • June/July: Burpee Super Seed Trays: These were on sale for about $8 at Tractor Supply so I bought what they had and used them to start basil. Wow do they work! Really easy to clean too. I'm looking forward to finding more and using them next season.
PUMPKINS
So, I love pumpkins and do not understand everything I saw at the pumpkin farm when I taught kindergarten. I found a variety pack of pumpkins and planted all of them - then some more. The pumpkins are all different: Connecticut, a squatty pumpkin, a white, and even a blue pumpkin. These guys LOVE to climb - so I let them - big mistake. Next year, I will dedicate an enclosed space for them. The deer like to eat the flowers but not so much the larger pumpkin.

SQUASH/ ZUCCHINI 
I planted a fat squash and didn't really love it; next year I'll plant the "hook neck". The zucchini went wild and we had a ton of them. One zucchini plant produced a ton then piddled out and needed to be removed. Crowding is a likely factor. Live and learn, huh?

TOMATOES
I learned they do not like to grow near cucumbers - oops! The tomatoes that worry me the most are the Black Krims. They were the oldest seeds I had. Maybe I didn't store them well, or maybe the soil isn't right, I'm not sure - but - they don't look so good.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)

End of the Garden Season for me ...