End of the Garden Season for me ...

Yes, I know there is a place for winter crops and I planted 15 turnips that never showed and 2/3 of my Kale plants were stolen by a vermint (I even enclosed the little plants). Winter crops will have to wait.

I DID grow 5 pumpkins though. 2 are orange and "Halloween" like, 2 are peach colored and 'long in the face', the last one was a white/blue pumpkin and it didn't last very long.

Questions I have for the universe:

Was it good garden soil? My daughter bought me a soil testing kit from amazon for me to try.

Was there enough soil? Are the raised beds as full as they need to be?

How do I really use fertilizer in the garden? What fertilizer do I use?

Were my plants too crowded? Yes; how do I stop my compulsion to plant everything in sight?

Road to Redemption:

READING: I bought a book by Mike McGrath, Growing Great Tomatoes, and I have read half. So far, I did almost everything wrong from he start (but I had fun - so there's that). I also found a book in my library by Jo Whittingham, DK Backyard Harvest, and I think it might help me as well. We have another book by Mel Bartholomew, Square Foot Gardening, which I am sure is a great book - I'm just not a fan of the layout and structure of the book (where are the eye catching pictures that make me believe I can do this?) 

PLAN AHEAD: This fall, I want to:

  • set up the temperature controlled art room into a grow room for my baby plants - flowers, herbs, and vegetables. 
  • test the soil and amend it however it needs to be amended
  • continue to compost and add soil to the garden (spring)
  • create tomato cages from hod wire fencing (and yard stakes)
  • extend the garden and plant the blueberries
  • move the peonies from the garden and into the house gardens
  • make a sign: buy watermelon from the grocery store
What I learned: Plant more than 4 bean plants and more than 2 cucumber plants. Plant more dill (because I use it all the time), stick to the tomatoes I love (and big seeds for that giant one!). Those dates on the tomato packages are based on a 6-week old plant - plant more sauce tomatoes. Plant garlic in the fall - tick tock isn't always right (they arrived yesterday). Always have a vegetable ready to replace the one that's finished.

That's it for now. If anyone has answers or suggestions, I would love to hear your thoughts. Just remember to be kind.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)