Garlic

Garlic, so easy and so hard at the same time. I ordered two types of garlic for fall planting in July 2023:

- Hard Neck Roja

- Soft Neck Nootka.

I received them September 29, 2023 and planted all 80 on October 30, 2023. You are suppose to plant garlic in October/November for zone 7. The harvest date for both is 240 days (harvest: July 29, 2024).

I planted just like the instructions and internet gurus suggested but now I have stalks that are a foot+ tall. The internet says if they are sprouts not to worry - but this?! These are huge! 

Today, December 30, 2023, I covered the base of the stalks with another layer of leaves (additional to the layer Mother Nature laid on them) and emailed Burpee to see if I am doing the right thing. One internet site says August is harvest time for garlic - well that math doesn't work in Virginia. If I wanted to harvest in August - I should have waited until winter and planted them December 18th.

If anyone has any ideas - please let me know.




garlic roja from www.burpee.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of the Garden Season for me ...

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)