DAY 4: Building the Greenhouse: Selecting the perfect spot

 4 Hours

Read a lot, thought a lot, then did what I thought best knowing how the river works.

You are supposed to position your greenhouse so that a wall side is facing South East. That's all well and good; and if I did that, I would lose the house to gusts o wind coming from the river. Instead, I positioned the doors of the greenhouse South East knowing that in the spring, summer and fall this spot receives at least 6-8 hours of sun-rise to early afternoon sun before the cedars begin to cast shade over the site. The sun will make my plants grow without blistering the leaves and the shade will protect them from heavy afternoon sun. The picture below shows January sun at 3:00-3:30pm.

Today we selected, and constructed the frame of the greenhouse. Jim bought 6 foundation blocks, readjusted them to fit 4x4 beams and put it all together. 

Next weekend, we will anchor the structure, add the weed cloth and about 2-3 inches of pea gravel. SO CLOSE!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic

DAY 1: Building The Greenhouse (Unpacking a Puzzle)

End of the Garden Season for me ...